Battleships of the 20th century

American Battleships

USS Iowa BB-4

USS Iowa BB-4

USS Iowa BB-4


Name

USS Iowa BB-4

Four ships of the United States Navy have been named USS Iowa in honor of Iowa, the 29th state.

  • USS Iowa (1864), was a monitor originally named Ammonoosuc that was never commissioned. She was renamed Iowa before being sold

  • USS Iowa (BB-4), was a battleship that saw action during the Spanish-American War

  • USS Iowa (BB-53), was a battleship already under construction when she was canceled by the Washington Naval Treaty

  • USS Iowa (BB-61), was the lead ship of the Iowa-class battleships and saw action during World War II and the Korean War


Hull #

BB04

Built

Laid down: 5 August 1893

Launched: 28 March 1896

Commissioned

16 June 1897

Sister Ships

N/A

History Highlight

After shakedown off the Atlantic coast, Iowa was assigned to the Atlantic Fleet and was ordered to blockade duty, 28 May 1898, off Santiago de Cuba. On 3 July 1898, she was the first to sight the Spanish ships approaching and fired the first shot in the Battle of Santiago. In a 20-minute battle with Spanish armored cruisers Infanta Maria Teresa and Almirante Oquendo, her effective fire set both ships aflame and drove them on the beach. Iowa, continuing the battle in company with converted yacht Gloucester, sank the Spanish destroyer Pluton and so damaged destroyer Furor that she ran upon the rocks. Iowa then turned her attention to the Spanish armored cruiser Vizcaya which she pursued until Vizcaya ran aground. Upon the conclusion of the battle, Iowa received on board Spanish Admiral Pascual Cervera and the officers and crews of the Vizcaya, Furor, and Pluton.

After the Battle of Santiago de Cuba, Iowa left Cuban waters for New York City, arriving 20 August 1898. On 12 October 1898, she departed for duty in the Pacific, sailed around Cape Horn, and arrived at San Francisco, California, on 7 February 1899. The battleship then steamed to Bremerton, Washington, where she entered drydock on 11 June 1899. After refit, Iowa served in the Pacific Squadron for 2 years, conducting training cruises, drills, and target practice. Iowa left the Pacific early in February 1902 to become flagship of the South Atlantic Squadron. She sailed for New York 12 February 1903, where she decommissioned 30 June 1903.

Iowa recommissioned 23 December 1903 and joined the North Atlantic Squadron. She participated in the John Paul Jones Commemoration ceremonies, 30 June 1905. Iowa remained in the North Atlantic until she was placed in reserve 6 July 1907. She decommissioned at Philadelphia 23 July 1908.

Iowa recommissioned 2 May 1910, and served as an at-sea training ship and as a component of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. During the next four years she made a number of training cruises to Northern Europe and participated in the Naval Review at Philadelphia, 10 October to 15 October 1912. She decommissioned at Philadelphia Navy Yard on 27 May 1914. At the outbreak of World War I, Iowa was placed in limited commission 28 April 1917. After serving as Receiving Ship at Philadelphia for six months, she was sent to Hampton Roads and remained there for the duration of the war, training men for other ships of the Fleet, and doing guard duty at the entrance to Chesapeake Bay. She decommissioned for the final time on 31 March 1919.

On 30 April 1919, Iowa was renamed "Coast Battleship No. 4" to free her name for a new South Dakota class battleship, and was the first radio-controlled target ship to be used in a fleet exercise. She was sunk 23 March 1923, in Panama Bay by a salvo of 14 inch shells. Iowa was decommissioned before the development of the modern hull classification symbol system in 1921, and never carried the designation "BB-4" in active service but instead was referred to as "Battleship no. 4" through her entire lifespan.

Decommissioned

31 March 1919

Final Disposition

On 30 April 1919, Iowa was renamed "Coast Battleship No. 4" to free her name for a new South Dakota class battleship, and was the first radio-controlled target ship to be used in a fleet exercise. She was sunk 23 March 1923, in Panama Bay by a salvo of 14 inch shells. Iowa was decommissioned before the development of the modern hull classification symbol system in 1921, and never carried the designation "BB-4" in active service but instead was referred to as "Battleship no. 4" through her entire lifespan.

Related Info

General characteristics

Displacement:

11,346 tons

Length:

360 ft (110 m)

Beam:

72.1 ft (22.0 m)

Draft:

24 ft (7.3 m)

Speed:

17 knots (32 km/h)

Complement:

727 officers and men

Armament:

4 12 in (305 mm) guns

8 8 in (203 mm) guns

6 4 in (102 mm) guns

20 6 pounders

4 1 pounders

4 14 in (356 mm) torpedo tubes


Source: Wikipedia

Related Links

Return to American Battleships



Photos

N/A

BB04